Saturday, August 18, 2012

Labels


As a child we were taught to associate things and relationships with labels. You have parents, siblings, friends, relatives, etc. Nothing in between. Those you had fights with are your enemies. Those you play with are your playmates. No grey areas. And then, we grow up. And everything we believed to be black and white are not anymore.

I’ve been recently, and more than once, asked “Are you together?” This particular question is the one I hated the most lately and the one I’ve been avoiding asking myself. Because honestly, I don’t know. Don’t get me wrong, I wanted to know. I tried, failed, tried again, failed miserably. So now I’m stumped. Do I give up and stop? Do I pursue? Or do I just let things run its course? I’m not even sure I want to know the answer. ‘Cause I have to admit, it feels like I’m stuck in the greyest area of the house and I’m getting pretty comfortable in it.

So it all boils down to putting a label in this “relationship”. Is it really that important? Will it make the world a better place to live in? Would it make all the questions go away???

Who am I kidding? Of course it is important. It gives you a sense of comfort and security. A sort of contract of what’s yours and what’s not. A line that’s not to be crossed. I highly doubt it will make the world a better place, but at least one person (ehem) will feel a little better living in it. Will a single label make all the questions go away? No it won’t. But at least it’ll answer one.

No comments: