Sunday, September 27, 2009

I don't want to be safe alone

It's been a very very sad weekend for the Filipino people. Typhoon Ondoy (international name:Ketsana) left out capital and nearby provinces and cities devastated. There were flood everywhere even on the areas where flood was never a problem. And it was not just simple knee deep flood. It was as high as a house or even higher.

I was very worried for my family and relatives. It was very hard to contact them as the communication lines were all down. I am thankful that the flood in our subdivision was not as bad as the nearby villages. It was only knee deep and it did not reach our front steps, it was the first time it happened. It was a very worrying sight. However, some of my relatives were not as lucky as we are. My Uncle's house was filled with flood water that they have to stay at the 2nd floor of their neighbor's house where they ran out of food waiting for help to arrive or rain to stop. They have a 1 month old grandchild with them whose father was stranded in the office. My cousin's place was also flooded, good thing was they have a 2nd floor to retreat to. Last I check, they're all fine now and the flood has subsided a bit but not yet completely gone. I have friends who experienced the same thing with their families in Manila.

It makes us realize that all material things that we have can be gone in a flash. That what we think is important or valuable is really not. It doesn't matter how much we earn or what our status in society is. That in the end, all that matters is our family and their safety. That we're all together and in tact and safe.

It made me want to go home so bad. I don't care if it is not safe. I just want to be with them.


1 comment:

Janine JM Japs Nini Jamy said...

I'll pray for them Wen..I hope tomorrow will be better..